Monday, March 30, 2015

Day 2: The Great Wall Is So High, It Reaches Heaven!

The day started with a bus trip to the Great Wall of China. We got there in about a half-an-hour, but that was just to the bottom of the summit. We did not pay for the ski lift to the top so we needed to climb 1200 steep steps in order to get to the wall. I am not the most in-shape person in the world so despite the weather being slightly chilly, I was sweaty and gasping for air along with half of the class when we got to the top. When we reached the wall, I noticed there were steep peaks and valleys in the walkway and when we encountered steps, they were steep and their angles and size were uneven.


                                                           

It was a struggle, but we finally reached the summit of what was left of the wall and our group took a picture together after sharing some drinks. There was a surprise for us when we began to descend the wall. There was a toboggan slide that we could ride in order to get to the bottom of the summit. Because of my weight, I got stuck midway through the slide, but I was eventually able to pull my way down the slide and keep on going. When leaving the wall, I was in awe. The wall reminded me of how far back Chinese history goes and how it makes the length of our history seem miniscule. The Chinese started construction of this wall-with amazing architecture for the time- more than two thousand years ago. Our country’s first account of significant history came less than 400 years ago. Also, the Chinese soldiers that patrolled this wall must have been really in-shape. We visited a second important landmark called the Temple of Heaven. The significance of the Temple of Heaven is that the Emperor of China would go to the Temple in order to pray to their gods for a good harvest in the upcoming season. What really stood out to me was the architecture of the temple. It was very beautiful and it was a sharp contrast to the buildings in the inner city of Beijing.



                                            

We ended our visit with a 30 minute tai-chi lesson and I really enjoyed it. Tai-chi is very popular in Beijing and I saw many senior citizens practice it as a recreational activity. I also had my first experience with a native who desperately wanted my picture. He didn’t understand me, but when I showed that he could take a photo with me, the old man ran towards me as fast as he could with the most excited look on his face. We ended the night with a formal dinner in which we introduced ourselves in broken Chinese and we listened to a speech from a Beijing start-up company CEO who was a Pitt Alum. He talked about the ups and downs between working in the U.S. vs. working in China as well as building start-up companies in foreign places. The talk was helpful because foreign business ventures were a very common topic during our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment